What exactly is a Professional Biography?
A professional biography is a one to four paragraph document about you, and your career background, with very skilled and summarized content.
What does it do?
A professional biography communicates ‘who you are’ and ‘what you have done’ quickly to the reader.
Do you need one?
You might need a professional biography when…
- You apply for a job
- Publish an article
- Write a guest post
- Participate in networking events
- Speak at conferences, affiliations, almost anywhere
- For inclusion in company literature
- To optimize your online presence
What exactly can it do for you?
Job seekers who include a bio in their application package often elevate their unique value over the competition.
The bio can also serve as a value proposition tool for inclusion in an application for a promotion within an organization.
Bios are no longer the boring, matter of fact documents of yesteryear. Today, bios are energetic, visually aesthetic, and modern. Bios are also content driven with soft-skills and can relay characteristics that relate to a company’s culture. They provide the reader with an inside glimpse into the person behind the title by concisely articulating your career journey.
In some C-level hiring processes, candidates may be asked for their bios even prior to being asked for a resume.
Since only approximately 20% of jobs are filled through job boards, bios are excellent tools for navigating the networking processes, where 80% of jobs are actually filled!
Quick tips for crafting your bio:
- Capture the reader’s attention through an engaging summary. Make sure to write in third person.
- Provide the basics: name, profession, and expertise.
- Relay career highlights with quantifiable data.
- Are you known for anything or an expert in a field?
- Include credentials and education.
- Follow up with appropriate hobbies or interests and interject a little personality or humor.
Remember to make sure your photo is professional!
Give me a call if you need help structuring your biography. I'm always here to help!