Looking for work can be a full time job itself! When you are applying for many jobs at various companies, it can be difficult to keep track of your applications and your progress with each application. Knowing how to stay on top of your job search by getting organized can improve your chances of remaining pro-active; following up on the jobs you want and even help alleviate some of the stress associated with job searching. Take some time now to organize your job search.
Bring structure, logic and control to your job search by creating a job search log.
1. Start a spreadsheet dedicated to your job search. Record each job that you apply for, the company name and headquarters, along with the address of the company location where you actually applied to work (if it is a different location). List relevant contact names and phone numbers.
2. Make columns that include: job title, company name and address, contact information, date of application, date job closes, and names and titles of anyone you have spoken to. List interview dates and notes referencing your discussion. Follow up after interviews with a thank you letter.
3. Review/update your log at least every other day. Add new jobs as you apply for them and continue to follow up on leads.
4. Create a daily/weekly schedule of activities to complete as you conduct your job search.
5. Continually set goals, reevaluate, and adjust your job search strategy as needed!