1. Paper is important! Although it is the electronic age- when attending job fairs you will be handing out your paper resume. Not all papers are the same. Make sure to have your resume printed on 20-24 lb. bond resume paper in white, ivory or subtle gray. Bond or linen paper feels different and, therefore, stands out when stacked within a pile of other resumes. Resume paper also makes a statement of quality and distinction, which is a reflection on you.
3. Two pages max! Unless you have extensive experience it is best to make sure that your resume is only two pages – especially for job fairs. Review your resume for overall appeal. Is there enough white space? Is it crowded or is the font too small or too large? If your resume does not fill two pages, either re-write it to fit onto one page or expand it to fill two pages.
4. PROOFREAD, PROOFREAD, PROOFREAD and then proofread your resume again for spelling errors and to make sure that all contact information is correct (check for transposed numbers) - you want to make sure that hiring managers can reach you.
5. Insider’s tip: After researching the attending companies, call the HR department at your top three (this will take a little more research). Introduce yourself and tell the HR Rep that you are calling to confirm their attendance at XYZ Job Fair, as you are very interested in working for their corporation. Ask for the Rep’s name. Upon attending the job fair, when you reach that company’s booth tell the recruiter that after speaking to _____ in the HR department, you are very excited to have the opportunity to provide your resume for consideration. This has worked for more than one of my clients. The reason: it demonstrates initiative, sincere interest in their company and follow-through.
6. Be prepared! Print and bring LOTS of copies of your professional resume. You will undoubtedly run out when you really need just one more! Carry your resumes in a professional notebook with a pad and pen for notes. Continually pull resumes from the inside pocket and stack them on top of the notepad inside the binder (about 5 at a time) so that you can easily reach inside without stumbling around and pull out a crisp resume.
7. Smile! When you are well prepared, well-dressed, and know that your professional resume documents are clean, crisp and concise you will feel and look confident!
If you're ready to have us craft a job-winning resume that communicates your value, click here to get started. When you submit this initial form, you will be asked to select a date and time for your complimentary consultation.
A Platinum Resume, LLC
Kara Varner, MAOM, CPRW